Based at: Agriville Farms, Kingsville, ON
Reports to: Not Specified
Type of Employment:Full time employment 6-days a week.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Receive the orders of fertilizers and mix of fertilizers, ensure the proper disposal of containers and keep the Fertilizer Room clean and organized.
- Daily collection of water samples for testing pH, EC and drainage percentage to present to the Senior Grower.
- Clean, maintain and repair the irrigation systems and its parts such as Irrigation lines, valves, diaphragms and filters.
- Collect information about coming orders of bio controls and/or bees and ensure they are distributed and placed correctly and timely.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the pollination.
- Prepare the mixes for the spray applications.
- Calibrate the sprayers and ensure volumes and doses used are according to Grower’s recommendation.
- Ensure the proper washing and disposal of pesticides containers in compliance with the Pesticide Act Regulations.
- Control of Inventory of Personal Protective Equipment such as spray suits, masks, gloves, etc.
- Control of Inventory of Pesticides, must keep monthly inventory updated.
- Communicate to the Grower any indications of pests and diseases
- Keep record of all the variables needed in any trails or research taking place in the facility.
- Remove diseased plants for testing or disposal.
- Support the jobs of cleaning and disinfection of the Greenhouses at the end/beginning of each crop cycle; must learn to operate machinery and know all the procedures in these kinds of jobs.
- As Assistant Grower must be familiar with all the systems and procedures of the Greenhouse to be able to act as an alternative when a Grower, or a Labour Supervisor or a Scout are absent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum 2-years of experience as Assistant Grower in a high-tech glass greenhouse environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral and spoken) in English; additional languages (i.e. Spanish, will be considered an asset).
- Must be familiar with horticultural nomenclature.